THIS BLOG HAS NO AFFILIATION TO CATA WHATSOEVER

A blogging site intended specifically for tennis players to share their views and opinions about tennis and anything having to do with the lifetime sport of tennis. The blog site is owned and maintained by Vickie Wright and should not be misconstrued as a product of CATA and should have absolutely NO reflection on CATA or the fine work that CATA does. Vickie is not responsible nor culpable for any comments posted on this blog.
Vickie's contact information is Vickietennisnut@austin.rr.com and my cell number is (512) 922-7220.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

WHAT IS THE REAL RULE?



It's soon to be that time of year when WTTA begins and our Fall USTA leagues run simultaneously.  With that, I thought a new section might be of interest to our fellow womens10s bloggers.  It will be entitled..WHAT IS THE REAL RULE? 

So, WHAT IS THE REAL RULE....begins with this one subject that creates a host of issues on court even for the most veteran of players and officials.  WHO MAY CALL A LET?  When should you call a let?  If my hat falls off or a ball falls out of my pocket, may I and/or my opponent call a let for this happening during play?  What if my racket flies out of my hand and falls onto the court....let?

Seem simple?  Well it's really not, which is why we'll begin with LETS?  For a while, I'll post the answers per the 2011 Friend At Court the next day or soon after, while also posting a NEW rules question for you to ponder.  Look for the picture above for future posts for USTA rules. 

So...WHO MAY CALL A LET?  Do you know?  Can anyone call a let?  Can players on the court next to you call a let because of a stray ball they see, but perhaps you do not?  There are numerous rules on lets...so we'll start here.  What say you womens10s players of Greater Austin? 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think anyone can call a let. The worst is when I'm hitting a WINNER and just as I hit the ball, my opponents call LET. Shouldn't I be awarded the point because I hit an obvious winner at the same time they call LET.

Anonymous said...

There are definitely some poorly timed let calls made in my experience.

Anonymous said...

The one let call that really bites is when you've hit an obvious ACE and your opponent claims the serve touched the net when it was 3 or more inches well above it.

Anonymous said...

My worst call was during a singles match, when I hit a winner down the line, and my opponent called a let due to a person from the court next coming in the area to the side of our court. My opponent was in the middle of the court, and never moved to the ball. I was closer to that side of the court than her, and never noticed the person. Can lets be called because an opponent happens to "notice" something or someone off the court?

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience at the CATA tournament this weekend and the official was standing at the net. My partner served an ace out wide to the ad court and our opponent (after failing an attempt to hit it) called a let. The ball had to have been at least 2 feet above the net! The official was on that side of the court but didn't say anything but then again he also never called them on foot faults either. We decided to not make an issue of it and won the match in the end.

RM said...

Vickie should get rid of that official that let that player call a let. If they are standing at the net they can disallow a let call.